Wednesday 22 March 2017

VR in Learning - Some of my experiences


Having set off on our Virtual Reality in Learning Odyssey, both Rachel and I have had different, but complementary, experiences. Here are some of mine...

My first venture into the subject was to buy myself the basic, entry-level kit, a Google Cardboard headset. With no prior knowledge, I assumed that it would as simple as ordering one via Amazon. I wasn’t prepared for, nor could I distinguish any apparent big differences between, the various models of GC with which I was presented. Digging deeper, I could see different manufacturers of the basic folded card device, offering minor enhancements, all around the £6.00 - £10.00 mark. There also seemed to be some lack of clarity with regards to whether or not they could all accommodate my iPhone 6 plus smartphone.

Eventually I ordered what seemed to be an appropriate model but, unusually for, was informed that it was being despatched late, and a week later was further informed that that model was not available. Some confused messages there. I ordered a replacement model - "Splaks Google Cardboard 3D VR Glasses" (Amazon Site) - and it was duly delivered the following day. Pre-assembled and boxed nicely, all I had to do was insert my phone and get started.

But wait a minute, what was I going to experience? Of course, I would need some VR software or apps on my phone which would deliver the content that I wanted to access via the headset. More research needed here – what apps are out there and, more importantly, are available on the Apple iPhone platform?

Because here’s another thing that became apparent very quickly. Most VR experiences, apps and devices seem to be built for the Android platform, not Apple. Indeed, Apple seem to be suspiciously and conspicuously absent from all the flutter of debate and discussion about VR. More on that later.

So, it was back to web searching for advice/curation of suitable VR apps for my iPhone and Google Cardboard. Fortunately, there was lots of info available here (see our curated resources links doc). So, apps downloaded, I loaded the introductory Google Cardboard app, inserted my iPhone according to the instructions and donned my headset (this one came with a headstrap).

Imagine my disappointment, when the 3D images I saw were blurry, out-of-focus and indistinct. Irrespective of which direction I looked in, everything was fuzzy. From cartoonish, 3D rendered apps, to 3D/360 films, everything I tried – including wearing/not wearing my spectacles in the headset – was out of focus.

And yet, despite that, I was entranced by the immersive feel, looking around, up, down, swivelling around on my desk chair, transported. Apps such as Google Street View, Within, AutismTMI*, each presented me with new wonders – albeit out of focus - which, if enhanced by using my iPhone earphones for the added 3D surround soundscapes, put me into different worlds whilst sitting at my desk. Quite impressive.
 
But I would have been even more impressed if the visuals had been crystal clear! 

* That said, the AutismTMI experience, designed so that the visitor can experience how
overwhelmed autistic people can become in everyday situations, was even more disorientating when viewed and experienced out of focus!

A quick exchange with my Personal Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter revealed that others had had a similar experience with Google Cardboard and that, generally, experience results were patchy. Advice seemed to be that I needed to go to the next level phone headset, such as the Samsung Gear VR (around £60.00).

I never got that far, as my next experience was at the Learning Technologies Show at Olympia in London on 3rd February. I was busy at the Conference, having been asked to Chair a couple of sessions, so I didn’t get onto the Exhibition floor until Day 2, when Rachel and I met up for a coffee and to compare our research notes to date. Rachel had visited one of the other supplier stands and shared her experience with me – and the world apparently - with this tweet.

We teamed up to visit the Immerse Learning stand, where we took turns to experience their fully immersive VR kit and environment via the HTC Vive headset, linked to a laptop PC, which enabled us to explore and manipulate a 3D pill press machine (see their own blog on the LT Exhibition, here https://blog.immerselearning.com/100-demos-2-theatre-sessions-we-make-our-debut-at-learning-technologies/

Indeed, so all-encompassing was my experience here, that, goggled and ear-phoned up, with two paddles in my hand to simulate lifting and moving virtual objects, when instructed to ‘open the door on the machine’, I ‘pulled’ on its handle, expecting it to slide upwards, but ducked – and swore loudly – as the door swung open and up ‘in my face’. I actually physically ducked to avoid being struck, so real was the simulation. Judging from the laughter from the bystanders awaiting their turn, no-one was overly offended by my outburst and the comedic (and learning) value of me doing so in empty space was evidently sufficient to excuse my language.

I could immediately see the value of this environment as a learning tool. Not only could I manipulate the machine itself as an operator, I could - and this was kinda freaky - actually walk into the machine and view its inner workings and mechanics. As operator and/or engineer, anyone's understanding of the machine and their ability to play with, examine, diagnose and repair it in virtual detail, without having to take an expensive bit of kit apart in a workshop - and repeat the exercise as required - is very clear to me. A great example of and introduction to the real-world potential applications of VR in Learning.

Now please follow these links to our first YouTube video conversation about our research https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgaDjoGuN-I and Rachel's blog to read about her experiences with VR in Learning thus far http://rachelburnham.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/niall-rachels-vr-odyssey-part-2-our.html

No comments:

Post a Comment