Friday 18 October 2019

Completion is Mandatory

Photo by Hammer & Tusk on Unsplash

I've just completed a short e-learning course, about which I was informed by email on Monday of this week.

"Completion is mandatory for all... and needs to be completed by Friday 18th October."

Classic e-learning: a short video of someone holding a document and talking about it as they turn the pages; links to some graphic files and policies; several statements confirming I get it, and a 'Declaration' that I know how to follow the process and apply it.

I've gone through it twice. I'm not sure I really understand where to find the links in the real systems, nor how to follow the process when required to so do.

But it's Friday. So, I've clicked the Declaration button anyway. 

I've complied.

No-one will check.

And if and when I need to do it for real, I'll ask someone.

Just like everyone else who has ever had to complete an e-learning compliance course.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear... but it doesn't have to be like that! Not many will deliver using VR but it's not rocket science to work out an appropriate design and create something that will engage learners and get them thinking about the assumptions they make and how their behaviour may need to change. I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joan. I was triggered by how old-school - and thereby ineffective - the intervention was. A real box-ticking exercise. Unfotunately, I'm not in a position to influence the corporate decision-making in this instance, but merely a (reluctant) consumer.

      Delete