Monday 21 October 2019

Taking a Leaf

Photo by Nong Vang on Unsplash
I've just read Andrew Jacobs' (@AndrewJacobsLnD) latest blog A Week of Posts wherein he shares where and how he gets his inspiration for his daily blog posts.

He's a man of curiosity and enquiry, and he's capable of extrapolating ideas from different sources, conversations, podcasts, blog posts, work products, etc that resonate for him and that he can translate into short, impactive, professionally-related daily posts.

It's a skill I envy and am learning a lot from in terms of my own blog posting track record and forward planning.

So here's what I loved about his post today.

  • The content: Andrew's sources are many and varied. His skills lie in seeing something in them that he can use and relate to a professional audience. He doesn't over-think them. And it helps that he's also very articulate.

    My takeaway: KISS - Keep it simple, stupid!

  • That photograph! His title was "A Week of Posts". His illustration: A lovely photograph in Autumnal tones of a rural pathway meandering into the distance, and marked out by two rows of wooden posts. It was both visually arresting (it drew my attention to the his blog immediately) and it was a gently understated witty play on the word 'posts'. Genius!

    My takeaway: Visuals attract people to your content. Great visuals enhance it.

So, taking a leaf out of Andrew's book, this post is my own quick and dirty reflection on what I think good blog posting should look like, while I try to walk that talk better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment